One of my own personal missions over the past few years has been to reduce my impact on the environment, within the past couple of years I’ve had a large focus on eco-friendly household goods swaps. I’ve examined the products I use in my life and have looked out how some of the products are wasteful and thought about how I could do better. Some of the areas we create a lot of waste are in the household goods that we use. I wanted to provide easy ways you can make adjustments in your own life and provide eco friendly household goods swaps.
- Cloth Hand Towels
- Use cloth hand towels instead of paper towels. I don’t know about you, but I didn’t realize just how many paper towels I used until I started to consciously think about it. A lot gets used without truly thinking it through. Consciously using cloth towels for things such as drying dishes, cleaning up messes, drying washed fruits and veggies and more adds up. Make sure you go with a sustainable fabric like cotton.You can find cloth towels from many places. I personally love The Little Market as all of their products are fair trade and they have lovely designs.
- Silpat Baking Mats
- Beeswrap (Plastic wrap alternative)
- Cloth napkins
- Biodegradable trash bags
- Natural Scourer
- Say Goodbye to Plastic Scourers and Say Hello to a 100% Coconut Hair Scrub Pad.Dish scrub brushNo Tox Life dishwashing block which is perfect for washing the dishes and lots of other cleaning jobs around the house.1 block can last up to 6 months.
- reusable silicone stasher bags
- that save money on disposable freezer bags.
- Silicone cupcake cups
- Tea infuser instead of teabags
- Steel straws
- ECO Lunch Box Bento Box
- Glass Food Storage System; containers
- Dish washing soap block
- Who Gives A Crap (bamboo TP)
- Bamboo Toothbrush
- WowE Tongue Scraper
- Eco floss tooth floss
- Swap liquid soap in a bottle for bar soap
- Go back to old fashion single steel blade razors. The steel is recyclable.
- Organic bamboo facial rounds for your face and makeup
- menstrual cups, cloth pads, compostable organic tampons.
- The RADIUS Original is an ergonomically designed toothbrush.
- The Original toothbrush handle is made from 100% cellulose bio-plastic.UK based Georganics is a plastic-free organic dental healthcare brand.
- Shampoo & Conditioner Bars
- Completely zero waste, no plastic, simply the bars themselves! The shampoo and conditioner bars should last between 50-75 washes (equal to 2-3 16 oz bottles of shampoo and conditioner), they’re vegan and cruelty free and come in plastic free packaging!
- Natural toothpaste
- Wool Dryer Balls
- You can find these at many places and can even make your own! These replace dryer sheets and should last 2-5 years and up to 1,000 loads.
- Blueland Cleaning Tablets
- A truly revolutionary cleaning brand. They have non-toxic cleaning products in the form of tablets that you simply add to water to create you cleaning product! They’re almost zero-waste with recyclable packaging. The products combat single use waste and are cheap and effective!
- E-mags instead of paper magazines
- Fountain pen
- Imagine all of the plastic pens we’ve wasted over the course of our lifetime. Refillable fountain pens are the way to go!
- Biodegradable bandaids
- Reusable shopping bags
- A go-to! I have many reusable bags for grocery shopping, essential items, etc. I especially love my Apolis bag that should last me 10 years! Better yet, Apolis bags are ethically made and they are a B Corporation Certified. Meaning, they meet the highest standards of social, environmental, public transparency and legal accountability. Learn more about B Corp Certification here.