I’m thrilled to see so many people, on the internet of course, committing to reducing their own waste and impact on the environment in 2020 and living more sustainably. It’s been on my mind quite often. I can’t help but think every time I buy something with plastic waste how it will end up in a landfill for my lifetime and beyond. I’m trying hard to make changes and I know all too well how overwhelming it can be at times. I’ve rounded up over fifty easy ways to live more sustainably!
Supergoop reef-safe sunscreen.
- Switch to digital magazines.
- Opt out of junk mail.
- Get paperless online statements.
- Say no to paper receipts.
- Run a full load of dishes in the dish washer.
- It saves more water than by washing by hand.
- Air dry clothing.
- Switch to incandescent light bulbs.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Purchase carbon neutral flight credits.
- There are a number of sites out there. I’ve purchased from Gold Standard. To learn more about carbon offsetting, check out this great article from The Points Guy.
- Shop at farmer’s markets.
- Unplug electronics when not in use.
- Make your own body scrub and body wash.
- Use bar shampoo and conditioner.
- LUSH has many great options!
- Make your own nut milk.
- Think it’s too time consuming? There are devices that allow you to make your own with the click of a button. Check out Almond Cow.
- Use natural biodegradable floss.
- Ask for no plastic utensils when doing take-out.
- Buy locally grown foods.
- Grow your own produce (fruits, veggies, herbs, etc.).
- Cook your own food and don’t let any go to waste!
- Meal prep in advance in order to control food waste.
- Use reusable baking mats instead of tin foil and parchment paper.
- Switch to bamboo or recycled toilet paper.
- Use cloth rags instead of paper towels.
- Use bamboo tooth brushes.
- Purchase a metal razor.
- Use bar soap instead of liquid.
- Always use reef-safe sunscreen!
- Eat less meat and seafood.
- Participate in Meatless Mondays.
- Go vegetarian or vegan.
- Buy less goods online.
- Unplug cords from outlets when not in use.
- Ride a bike or walk instead of driving.
- Bring your own reusable coffee cup.
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you.
- Say no to plastic straws, use your own reusable straw.
- Bring your own to-go containers for take-out.
- Bring reusable bags everywhere.
- Use a plastic wrap alternative.
- Shop vintage & secondhand.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper.
- Use wool dryer balls instead of dryer sheets.
- Bring your own produce bags to the store instead of using plastic bags.
- Buy from bulk stores and bring your own containers.
- Recycle electronics.
- Apple lets you recycle your used electronics and Best Buy recycles TONS of products, even beyond standard electronics like appliances and GPS systems.
- Recycle beauty containers.
- Donate clothing that is in good condition.
- Recycle clothing and fabrics that cannot be donated.
- Recycle styrofoam.
- Buy a real Christmas tree and recycle it.
The good news is, this list isn’t exhaustive! There are even more ways to live more sustainably in your own life. I may do an updated post later on this year once I’ve learned even more!
What else should I add to this list? What are you doing in your own life to live more sustainably?